Senior Lecturer in Religion and Anthropology/Sociology
Hollander Hall Rm 338
At Williams since 2003
B.A. Harvard University
M.A. Harvard University
Ph.D. Harvard University
M.A. Harvard University
Ph.D. Harvard University
Areas of Expertise
Recent Grants & Books:
National Geographic Society project: Climate Z: By the People & For the People
Sustainable Birth in Disruptive Times (Springer Nature, 2021)
The Global Impact of COVID-19 on Maternity Care Practices and Childbearing Experiences (Frontiers in Sociology, 2021)
- Reproductive Justice
- Climate Justice & Regenerative Agro-Pastoralism
- Maternity Care & COVID-19
- Maternal Mortality
- Mindfulness & Medicine
- Buddhism, Bodies, & Sexuality
- India & Himalayas
- Anthropology of South Asia
- Irrigation & Social Power
REL 246 / ANTH 246 / ASIA 246 / WGSS 246 TUTIndia's Identities: Nation,Community, & Individual (not offered 2022/23)
REL 248 / ANTH 248 / ASIA 248 / GBST 248 / WGSS 249 SEMBody Politics in South Asia: Gender, Sex, Religion, and Nation (not offered 2022/23)
REL 256 / ANTH 256 / ASIA 256 / WGSS 256 SEMBuddhism, Sex, & Gender: #MeToo Then and Now (not offered 2022/23)
REL 269 / ANTH 269 / ASIA 269 / STS 269(F) TUTMindfulness Examined: Meditation, Emotion, and Affective Neuroscience
ANTH 272 / WGSS 272 SEMSex and the Reproduction of Society (not offered 2022/23)
- Sustainable Birth in Disruptive Times. Kim Gutschow, Robbie Davis-Floyd, and Betty-Anne Daviss, eds. New York: Springer Nature, 2021.
- The Global Impacts of of COVID-19 on Maternity Care Practices and Childbearing Experiences. Davis-Floyd R and K Gutschow, eds. ebook published by Frontiers in Sociology, 2021.
- The Impacts of COVID-19 on US Maternity Care Practices: A Followup Study. Gutschow K and Davis-Floyd R Frontiers in Sociology 6:655401. July 2021. doi: 10.3389/fsoc.2021.655401
- Editorial: The Global Impacts of COVID-19 on Maternity Care Practices and Childbearing Experiences. Davis-Floyd R and Gutschow K. Frontiers in Sociology 6:721782. July, 2021.
- Pregnancy, Birth, and the COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States. Davis-Floyd R, Gutschow K, and Schwartz D. Medical Anthropology 2020 39(5): 413- 427.
- The Impacts of COVID-19 on Birth Practices in the US. Davis-Floyd R, Gutschow K, and Schwartz D. Practicing Anthropology 42(3): 6-12.
- How Birth Providers in the United States are Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Davis-Floyd R, Gutschow K, and Schwartz D. Journal of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health. Summer 34(4): 1-12.
- Going ‘Beyond the Numbers’: Maternal Death Reviews in India. Medical Anthropology 2016 35(4): 322-337.
- On Counting and Miscounting Maternal Mortality: Metrics and What Matters in Global Health. Gutschow K. In Armut & Gesundheit (Poverty & Health). Martin Tamcke, ed. University of Goettingen: Goettingen University Press, 2016. ebook here
- From Home to Hospital: The Extension of Obstetrics in Ladakh. Gutschow K. Medicine Between Science and Religion: Explorations on Tibetan Grounds. Vincanne Adams, Mona Schrempf, and Sienna Craig, eds. London: Berghahn Press, 2012. Pp. 185-214.
- Global Policies and Local Implementation: Maternal Mortality in Rural India. Gutschow K and P Dolma. In Global Health – A Challenge for Interdisciplinary Research. Martin Kappas, Uwe Gross, and Dermot Kelleher, eds. Goettingen: Goettingen University Press, 2012. chapter link here
- Women and Buddhism. Gutschow K. In Oxford Bibliographies Online, 2012. Oxford University Press Digital Library.
- The Politics of Being Buddhist in Zangskar: Partition and Today. Gutschow K. India Review 2006 5 (3–4): 470–498.
- How Buddhist Renunciation Produces Difference. Gutschow K. In Women’s Renunciation in South Asia. Religion/Culture/Critique. Khandelwal M., Hausner S.L., Gold A.G., eds. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- Being a Buddhist Nun: The Struggle for Enlightenment in the Himalayas. Gutschow K. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2004. [Winner: Sharon Stephen’s Book Prize, AES, 2005]
- A Landscape Dissolved: Households, Fields, and Irrigation in Rinam, Northwest India. Gutschow K and Gutschow N. In Space and Territory in the Buddhist Himalaya. Niels Gutschow, Charles Ramble, and Ernst Steinkellner, eds. Vienna: Franz Steinkellner Verlag, 2003. Chapter Download Here
- Behind the Ice Wall. Anthropologist for a Canal+ Discovery Channel Documentary. [Winner: Grand Jury Prize–Banff Mountain Film Festival 1995, 1st Prize–Telluride Mountain Film Festival, Honorable Mention: New York Film Festival 1995]
Awards, Fellowships & Grants
- 2020-2021. National Geographic Society Award ($99,847) Our project “Climate Change Adaptation: By the People & For the People”, will engage one fifth of Zangskar’s population—namely youth and women––in climate crisis adaptation and advocacy through participatory ethnographic research, citizen science camps, and participatory resource management that should result in climate smart policy and lessons for the broader Himalayan region.
- 2011 – 16. Goettingen University Grant: ‘Beyond the Numbers‘. 5 year grant to study maternal and neonatal deaths and audits in Ladakh, India.
- 2009-11. Advanced Researcher Fellowship. Humboldt Foundation, Germany, Heidelberg University and University of Goettingen. 18 months.
- 2008, 2006. Faculty Center For Media Technologies. Williams College. To create Archive Z, a digital database of ethnographic images from the Himalayas.
- 1997-00. Junior Fellow, Harvard University Society of Fellows
American Anthropological Assocation
Ladakh Studies Association