Lecturer in Religion and Anthropology/Sociology
M.A. Harvard University (1995)
Ph.D. Harvard University (1998)
Areas of Expertise
- Reproductive Health
- Gender and Sexuality
- Medical Anthropology & Anthropology of Religion
- Buddhism & South Asian Religions
- India, Himalayas, South Asia
- Bodies & Biomedicine
WGSS 246 T / ANTH 246 S / ASST 246 S / REL 246 S(F)India's Identities: Reproducing the Nation,Community and Individual
WGSS 249 / ANTH 248 S / ASST 248 S / INST 248 S / REL 248 SBody Politics in South Asia: Gender, Sex, Religion, and Nation
ANTH 272 / WGSS 272Sex and the Reproduction of Society
- From Home to Hospital: The Extension of Obstetrics in Ladakh. In Medicine Between Science and Religion: Explorations on Tibetan Grounds. Vincanne Adams, Mona Schrempf, and Sienna Craig, eds. London: Berghahn Press, 2012. Pp. 185-214.
- Global Policies and Local Implementation: Maternal Mortality in Rural India. Co-authored with Dr. Padma Dolma. In Global Health – A Challenge for Interdisciplinary Research. Martin Kappas, Uwe Gross, and Dermot Kelleher, eds. Goettingen: Goettingen University Press, 2012.
- Women and Buddhism. In Oxford Bibliographies Online, 2011. Oxford University Press Digital Library.
- The Delusion of Gender and Renunciation in Buddhist Kashmir. In Everyday Life in South Asia. Diane Mines and Sarah Lamb, eds. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press, 2010, 2002. Pp. 250-262.
- How Buddhist Renunciation Produces Difference. In Nuns, Yoginis, Saints, and Singers: Women’s Renunciation in South Asia. Meena Khandelwal, Sondra Hausner, and Ann Grodzins Gold, eds. New Delhi: Zubaan/Kali for Women (2007) and New York: Palgrave Macmillan (2006). Pp. 220-44.
- “The Politics of Being Buddhist in Zangskar: Partition and Today” (PDF), India Review 5 (3–4): 470–498. 2006.
- Being a Buddhist Nun: The Struggle for Enlightenment in the Himalayas. Harvard University Press. Winner: Sharon Stephen’s Book Prize, AES, 2005.
- Behind the Ice Wall. Location Expert/Anthropologist/Script-assistant. 1994: Discovery Channel, Canal +, and German ZDF documentary, that won Grand Jury Prize at Banff Mountain Film Festival, First Prize at Telluride Mountain Film Festival.
Awards, Fellowships & Grants
2011 – 16. Goettingen University Grant: ‘Beyond the Numbers’. 5 year grant to study maternal and neonatal deaths and audits in Ladakh, India.
2009-11. Advanced Researcher Fellowship. Humboldt Foundation, Germany, Heidelberg University and Goettigen University. 18 months.
2008, 2006. Faculty Center For Media Technologies. Williams College. To create Archive Z, a digital database of ethnographic images from the Himalayas.
1997-00. Junior Fellow, Harvard University Society of Fellows
- Public Health